So I did it. I finally confronted the slab of pork belly that has been curing in the fridge for over a week. I had cured it using a mix of pink curing salt, kosher salt, red pepper flakes, and rosemary. I used what I had on hand instead of running out and buying more spices because my pantry is already overflowing with odd ingredients as it is.
I had been putting off hanging the pancetta because it has to be rolled tightly to prevent mold growth in air pockets. You can wrap the slab up in cheese cloth to avoid rolling, but that almost seems like cheating. If I'm going to the trouble to make pancetta, I want to do it up right, and I've never seen flat pancetta before.
My first strategy was to start tying at the middle, but the belly didn't seem to stay rolled tightly, so I started at one of the ends, and that worked better. It took several tries of wrestling with the meat, but I was finally somewhat satisfied with my work. My arms and hands are aching from the strength it took to tame the pancetta. Pretty pathetic, I know.
Now its hanging in my shed along with some questionable duck prosciutto that doesn't seem hard yet even though its been in there for over a week. I hope my second Charcutepalooza experiment is more successful, but for now it deinfitely looks like pancetta. I guess I'll see in two weeks...